Monday, December 7, 2009

Things to do in and around San Antonio

Even though I was orginally going to keep this blog strictly OBLC realted I have had requests to give some good idea of things to do. I for one have tried to go one as many adventures as possible during the weekends so I will recap the best ones.

-Gruene, TX: A fantastic little part of New Braunfels, TX. It has a great antique shop, the oldest
dance hall in texas, a fun general store, and a fantastic restaurant called the gristmill. I have gone there 3 times!

-Cowboys Dance Hall: A great bar/dance hall. I learned how to two step here which is great fun by the way. I also saw a real live rodeo and they have live music most nights. Its usually $3 to get in unless its a rodeo or famous band.

-The Riverwalk: Honestly this didn't impress me that much but its fun to check out. Its in downtown San Antonio and there are alot of bars and clubs. The covers are pretty pricey though. There are some fun shops though along the water.

-Austin: Its about an hour and half away but totally worth the drive. There is great shopping, food, and nightclubs.

-Kayaking down the Guadalupe River: Fantastic fun and very relaxing and if we went when it was hotter we could have gone tubing. There is a military discount and I went twice!

-Schliterbahn: Its normally a water park but during Christmas they turn it into a huge light festival. We had so much looking at all the lights, sliding down the dry water tubes on sleds, and sitting on santas thrown. I hear it is also a really really good water park during the summer.

-Natural Bridge Caverns: So much more fun than I expected. Really cool caverns and the tour we took was only $16 with tickets bought from MWR. You can also splurge and for $100 go spelunking but I did not. It was beautiful though and the caverns were 77 degrees with 100% humidity.

-Natural Bridge drive though Safari: This was right next to the caverns and it was a small drive through safari. It was pretty cool. You paid per person and you got one bag of feed per car. You could buy more feed for $1 a bag but one bag really was enough. They had lots of deer, elk, buffalo, ostrich, zebra, llamas, and more. Some of the animals were really friendly and stuck their whole heads in the car!

Tanger/Prime Outlets: Great shopping! The largest outlet mall I have ever been to. Fantastic deals and soo many stores. Definitely worth it!

SeaWorld: So much fun and its free with your military ID! We got to see Shamu and feed dolphins and they had clydesdale horses, penguins, alligators, and even fun rollercoasters.

Sixflags: Our tickets were $24 through MWR and we even got vouchers for one free picture. It was off season so part of the park was closed but there was still alot of fun stuff open. It was pretty empty so many of the rides we got to stay on and ride over and over again. I am pretty sure we rode each roller coaster 3-4 times.

Orange Mexian place: The best mexican food we found. It is right out the side gate on Harry Wurzbach road. I am not sure of the real name but the restaurant is orange so you'll be able to find it. It has great beans and good salsa.

The Purple Garlic: I just discovered this place today. Great italian place.

Korean: There are three great korean restaurants in the area all pretty good and KiKu even has good sushi.

The Time Machine: A fun themed restaurant. The food is good, nothing fantastic but all the waitstuff dresses up as movie characters and they act like them too.

NorthStar Mall: A really nice mall with lots of high end stores. Saks 5th ave, macys, dillards, guess, and more.

Obviously I still have 2 weeks left so I will add should I go on any more adventures however with the CNCC class this weekend I am not sure too many more opportunities will arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment